13 March 2014

Seeing Dr P

Today we visited the clinic after a long break to see Dr P. We wanted to talk with him about our various options and to gather more information before we make the final decision about whether to try another IVF cycle.

The news was mixed. Looking at the numbers of eggs I have produced and the proportion that have fertilised and/or have been transferred, it has gradually gone down over the last three years. That is expected at my age. There is likely to have been a genetic problem with the sperm or the egg to explain the failures and we could perhaps increase our chances if we used a donor.

Dr P suggested that we both have some genetic testing. This is done via a blood sample and is apparently very expensive, but it is publicly funded in our circumstances. He has also referred me for a saline infusion sonohysterography (SIS), a procedure to assess my uterus and fallopian tubes. It needs to happen between day five and ten of my cycle and will help to rule out any issues there. This will cost $500 and is not funded.

Before we left the clinic, we met with Nurse M, who took my height, weight and blood pressure and explained how the SIS appointment would be made. Then we visited the lab to have our blood taken - ten tubes, in my case, so the technician used a butterfly, but it was completely painless. The results will take about four weeks. The appointment with Dr P cost $140 but I think it was money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment