10 December 2014

A call from the hospital

Yesterday morning a lady from the booking department at the hospital rang me to let me know the date of my laparoscopy - 23 December - yes, two days before Christmas! I'm glad it will happen so soon, but I hope I can still eat my Christmas dinner with my family rather than spend the day in hospital. It is planned that I will be in for only one night, though. The surgery will be at a hospital near our home. I asked for more information, like what time I would need to report to the hospital, but I was told I would find that out later.

First, though, I have to go to the city's main hospital for some pre-admission checks on Wednesday next week with the cardiologist, a gynaecologist and an anaesthetist. It will take a whole morning. Unfortunately the lady didn't give me very much information before she ended the call, so I had to call back to find out exactly where to go. I have never been to this hospital before. Luckily, I got some directions, found out about parking and ascertained that there was nothing I needed to bring or do beforehand. I was told that this information wouldn't be sent to me in writing, so I took careful notes!

This morning I received a text message from the cardiology department to let me know about the appointment, and in the mail I received a set of documents from the hospital with all the details of the other appointments. So much for not being sent anything in writing! The documents also told me that I needed to ring the hospital the afternoon before the day of surgery to find out what time to be there. That doesn't give us very much time to plan. D needs to work that day - but I guess we'll figure it out and hope I find out more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment