18 September 2012

Harvest

Yesterday morning D and I went to the clinic for the egg collection. We weren't allowed to have anything to eat or drink and I was feeling the lack of coffee! We had to wait for a little while, then we were shown through to a little room where a nurse took my vital signs and I changed into a gown. She also gave me some medication to calm me.
Then we went into the theatre and I got up into a big chair with stirrups. I can't remember everything that happened, but a nurse sat on one side and D sat on the other and we chatted away while the doctor extracted the eggs. Three were mature enough to extract and they were passed through a window to the lab next door. I don't remember any pain or discomfort at all. Then we were taken to the recovery room and I was tucked up on a reclining chair with a hot water bottle. D was taken away to have his sperm extracted. He said it was much better than last time - they only had to go in once with the long needle! After an hour or two we were feeling much better and we were sent home with lots of progesterone pessaries (I have to insert two of them three times a day - ugh) and instructions to rest up. I spent most of the afternoon in bed but I felt all right.

This morning the lab technician rang to let us know that two of the three eggs had been suitable for fertilisation, and overnight they had both successfully divided. This is good news - we are hoping to transfer two this time - but the numbers are much lower than I had hoped. This will be our last chance and I really wanted a better result. However, as D says, we only need one! We have made an appointment for Thursday morning for the transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment